Sunday, July 24, 2011

0 Boneless Bangus Bistek


As I settle into my new “office” I can’t help but feel a sense of contentment that is altogether new. It’s not a real office, the type that comes in a 40-storey building made of glass and steel, with a million desks and phones with lots of buttons. It’s a home office, a desk and a computer tucked in the corner of our new den. I’ve been working from home for a month now. The first was the laptop provided by my Boss in my bedroom. When F and I moved in together, I had the whole second bedroom to myself. Now I share the space with our (ok, C’s) tv and shelves of our (ok, my) books.
Why does this feel different? Maybe it’s the little trill of permanence (or at least semi-permanence) that I feel in this, our first co-owned bit of concrete space. Maybe it’s the feeling I’ve had since we have moved in, even as the mammoth piles of boxes lay a mess at our feet, that this is really home. Maybe because, no matter how small and pigeonhole-ish, a space of one’s own is truly a magical thing.
It’s nothing fancy. As I mentioned, a simple desk, a computer, some shelves, a light green wall and matching sofa. Above me are my books (and cookbooks) that always manage to make me smile no matter how frenetic the day. Beside me is a window from where I can see the buildings across the street specifically the LRT Legarda station and the National University of the Philippines, the busy stream of people going about their business, and most importantly, some trees (a view of green in the city is always something to be relished).
The best thing about my little home office though is the unlimited access to homemade lunches like these (well, that and the dress code).
Bonesless Bangus Bistek
  • 1 whole marinated milk fish (you can use the one from Century Tuna)
  • 2 whole onion (better used the white ones)
  • 4 tablespoons of olive oil
  • ¼ cup of vinegar
  • ½ cup of soy sauce
  • pinch of minced garlic
- Slice the milk fish according to the size you preferred. For me, I sliced it in some 3×3 sizes.
- Slice the onions making a circular style (just like the normal beef steak style).
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and when hot enough, add the sliced milk fish.
- Cook the fish until brown on both sides. For me, I kinda overcooked it a bit since husband wants it a little crunchy.
- When cooked, removed from heat and put the sliced onions in the same pan used to cook the fish.
- Fry and keep on stirring the onions until it adopted the brown color of the cooked fish.
- When all onions are cooked enough, pour in the cooked fish. Add the vinegar and soy sauce.
- Taste and adjust as preferred. Don’t stir.
- Let it simmer so the fish can absorb the taste of the soy sauce and vinegar.
- Remove from heat. Garnish with fried, minced garlic. Serve hot.
It’s gentle and reassuring…like a very familiar hug, or a well-loved blankie. I say that this is the kind of dish I like to call my husband down to after his bath…and I imagine I would too.
I substituted beef for the boneless bangus in the original recipe. This cooks up in no time flat, perfect for a busy day at the “office”
:)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...